Cookies ‘N’ Cream Pancakes (Oil-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)

This week I’m going to be sharing love….blog love, that is. I’m always coming across incredible recipes from my fellow bloggers and want to try them all! It’s hard to try out a lot of them, being I’m always creating my own recipes, and taking care of my wonderful 15 month old daughter. This past week though, I came across a few I couldn’t resist. They are easy, quick and delicious. I will be sharing a full-day-menu worth of recipes this week….breakfast, lunch, dinner, and of course dessert!

Pin it

Cookies 'N' Cream Pancakes

First in the lineup, pancakes for breakfast. To me, it was a no-brainer. I love pancakes and I love Erika. You must check out her incredible blog of a million pancake recipes and delicious baked goods. She is one talented lady! She has several vegan recipes to choose from. So, when I saw her vegan Cookies ‘N’ Cream pancakes, I knew I had to try them. They are delicious. I had to adapt the recipe because I’m committed to refined sugar-free and oil-free now, as well as diet restrictions due to my hubby’s gout, but feel free to follow her delicious version here.

I swapped out the oil for my roasted pecan butter. Ever since I discovered the magic of what pecan butter did for my Supersized Chocolate Chip Cookies (most popular recipe on my blog!), I pretty much decided I will be using it going forward for A LOT of baking, instead of oils or vegan butters. It’s magic, I tell ya! :) Why? Because it is creamy, buttery, slightly sweet and imparts a richer flavor than butter or oil can do.

So, for these pancakes I used the pecan butter instead of oil, used whole wheat pastry flour for the wonderful tenderness it gives pancakes, and I used maple syrup as the sweetner for that deep sweetness. Maple syrup is my favorite unrefined sugar. I also made my own “Oreo” cookie crumbles and “cream” syrup.

Cookies ‘N’ Cream Pancakes (I halved the recipe since they were just for me, so double for a family serving)

Print recipe

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseed

1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt

1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut milk (almond milk works too)

2 heaping tablespoons roasted pecan butter

3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract (gives that wonderful cream vanilla flavor)

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup cookie crumbles (either use homemade chocolate wafers, oreos, or my own cookie crumbles below)

Directions:

1. Add flaxseed, milk and apple cider vinegar to a small cup and whisk well until frothy, about a minute. Set aside for about 5 minutes.

2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cornstarch. Whisk until thoroughly mixed.

3. Add the pecan butter, syrup and vanilla to the milk mixture and whisk well. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour the liquid in, gently stir the batter until just combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold in the cookie crumbles. Set aside for 10 minutes for the batter to thicken.

4. At this same time, heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. You need the pan to be well heated so the pancakes cook properly. After the 10 minutes, scoop 1/4 cup portions of the batter onto the pan (the batter will be thick) and cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side, until the edges have firmed up. Flip over and cook for a couple more minutes. Follow my pancake tips here for the perfect, fluffy, non-mushy pancake.

“Oreo” Cookie Crumbles

Note: I made these specifically to use with the pancakes, they will not make actual cookies, they are in fact only crumbles. I didn’t want to use oreos or buy any cookies, so I improvised!

* 1/4 cup grapenuts cereal

* 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder

* 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup

Directions:

Add the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs form. This may take several minutes. Just keep pulsing, and the grape nuts will break down. Scrape the sides during the pulsing process, if necessary. That’s it…cookie crumbles! They don’t taste exactly like an oreo, but for this recipe, they worked perfectly.

Cookies 'N' Cream Pancakes

Healthy “Cream” Syrup. All I did was mix some coconut cream, a teensy bit of maple syrup, vanilla and a bit of arrowroot to thicken it up. It was super easy, quick and absolutely delicious!

Cookies 'N' Cream Pancakes

Healthy Cookies ‘N’ Cream Pancakes! ENJOY! Be sure to check out Erika’s blog here for many other amazing pancake recipes!

While we are on the subject, be sure to check out my Gingersnap Pancakes:

Gingersnap Pancakes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Sweet Treats, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

35 Comments on “Cookies ‘N’ Cream Pancakes (Oil-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)”

1. January 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM #

These pancakes sound incredibly delicious. You have to enter the new whole foods recipe contest and should enter several of your recipes, you could win a vitamix here is the link I think your recipes are incredible and healthy and a shoe in to win IMHO http://boulder.wholefoodsmarketcooking.com/contests/281_your_best_recipe_to_kick_off_a_healthy_new_year

• January 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM #

Aww thanks Suzanne! You’re so sweet. Ooooh that’s a great idea, thank you, I think I will submit my supersized chocolate chip cookies because they have become the favorite that tastes so sinful but all healthy ingredients…thank you so much for telling me girl!! By the way, your zucchini low carb pasta dish will be my shared dinner recipe this week :)

• January 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM #

Oh thank you, I would love to feature one of your recipes this week, you have so many good ones I have to decide which, if it’s alright with you!!

• January 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM #

Of course I don’t mind. I’d be honored!! :) I chose your zucchini pasta one because it was easy, simply, delicious and I drooled when I saw it, lol! I made it last night for dinner and my hubby and I both devoured it!

• January 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM #

Thank you so much, you don’t know how much it means to me that you tried and like my recipe. I will pour through your roster of amazing recipes and let you know which I will feature.

2. January 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM #

Phew, I am so glad you liked the pancakes!! Your spin on them sounds positively fantastic–I will definitely have to take some cues from you to stay on track with my no-sugar challenge! Ughhh I ALMOST picked up pecans when i went to Costco the other day, and then refrained. I’m so regretting that now because all I want to do is make your incredibly looking supersized chocolate chip cookies!!

Also, love the twist on the cookie crumbles. Thanks so much for the feature; you are awesome!!!

• January 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM #

No, thank you for sharing the recipe!! It is so yummy and I’m just glad it still worked out well, because i have to be really careful for my hubby what I use. Oh girl, you got to try the pecan butter….even just on toast with no sugar or anything, it is AMAZING! It tastes sweet, silky and divine. The key is processing until it is silky smooth. Oh, and as I say above, the cookie crumbles aren’t exactly tasting like an Oreo, but they work well specifically for this recipe. I just didn’t want to buy Oreos be I’d eat the whole package lol! I can’t wait to try your quinoa muffins next! :)

3. January 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM #

These are so healthy, it should be illegal since they look so delicious!
    Love it!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

4. January 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM #

Brandi,
    I love this! I love how inventive you are!! Grapenuts cereal? I used to eat that cereal ages ago!!! And love it!!! Thanks for also introducing us to the Pancake Princess!! :)

• January 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM #

Thank you so much Aliice, that’s so sweet of you! I try to be as creative as possible and think outside the box…it truly is so much fun for me!! Doesn’t always work out, but, sometimes it works great! Yes, definitely, check out her amazing blog…you will LOVE IT!!

5. January 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM #

Have mercy! I adore Erika’s blog and I love that you tackled her cookies ‘n cream pancakes. I could seriously lick my screen right now – your pancakes are so luscious ‘n decadent. Those are fabulous healthy alterations too. I wouldn’t feel too guilty about devouring a stack or two of these ;)

• January 15, 2013 at 5:46 AM #

Thank you so much Nancy!! I love Erika too! They tasted sweet and wonderful, I was happy they turned out! I devoured a few batches myself! ;)

6. January 15, 2013 at 4:06 AM #

These are great pancakes, Brandi, but I really do applaud your ingenuity in coming up with your own cookie rumbles. Wow! Well done!

• January 15, 2013 at 5:49 AM #

Thank you so much John! Honestly, that was the hardest part! I refused to go buy cookies or make a whole batch just for pancakes, I racked my brain and then just threw the ingredients in the processor to see what happened. I’ll be darned, they tasted like chooolate crumbs…not real sweet, but perfect for the pancakes!

7. January 15, 2013 at 4:31 AM #

Hi Brandi, I like the different healthy “Cream” Syrup. Looks and i bet tastes amazing.. Love your photos too :)

• January 15, 2013 at 5:50 AM #

Thank you so much Thom! That creamy sweet cream syrup was the perfect finish to them..a necessary yummy component that really made them “cookies ‘n’ cream” worthy :)

8. January 15, 2013 at 4:33 AM #

Sorry I also like making desserts which are typically delicious, but are originally changes, like your recipe from being loaded with sugar to sugar – free.. great job ;)

• January 15, 2013 at 5:53 AM #

Thank you so much, that means a lot to me Thom! The whole reason I started cooking this way was because I HAD to for my hubby’s health, it has become my passion and mission to create delicious food that is not only healthier, but not fill you full of guilt after eating it! It’s a great way to teach my daughter too from an early age :)

9. January 15, 2013 at 5:12 AM #

Yum!

10. January 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM #

That screams delicious!! :)

11. January 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM #

Everything looks beautiful Brandi – love the sound of the ‘cream’ and your cookie crumbs. You are one creative lady. I googled grapenut cereal. It’s not available in Australia but sounds delicious – I love that it contains neither grapes nor nuts! I guess it could be replaced with a mixed-grain flake cereal?

• January 16, 2013 at 7:04 PM #

Aww thank you Saskia! I have so much fun trying to come up with healthy alternatives, so thank you! I know, it’s a really funny name isn’t it?! Yes, a mixed grain should be fine, as long as it is crunchy. Grapenuts cereal is very crunchy. Enjoy :)

12. January 16, 2013 at 8:27 AM #

This is such a great recipe to share. As you know I am quite afraid of sweet things but I want these for breakfast tomorrow! Good job Brandi, they look incredibly tasty. The pancakes looks perfect. Yum!

• January 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM #

Thank you Danny! These are real sweet…they are more along the lines of a creamy vanilla flavor, not just straight sugar taste..which is what I wanted. The bourbon vanilla and coconut cream make it very vanilla-ish! Enjoy. Let me know if you try them :)

• January 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM #

I’ll probably have to cut down on the maple syrup but my favorite coconut cream will have to stay :-)

• January 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM #

Danny, I had a typo..I meant to say these AREN’T real sweet…just a creamy vanilla flavor. With that said, you could still certainly adjust the sweetner to your preference. If you cut down on the syrup, you may have to add just a tad of milk in place, so the batter isn’t too thick. I created these measurements exactly for the right thickness of batter I wanted. :)

• January 17, 2013 at 6:00 AM #

Okies! Noted. hmm..your suggestion of adding a tad of milk is tempting too. Thanks Brandi. :-)

13. January 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM #

Brandi, this is so wonderful! I love love love cookies-n-cream, and never say no to that. This recipe is a must in my kitchen. :)

14. January 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM #

Waw! I love thes etasty pancakes: all vegan too! Yummm! I can’t wait to make them!

15. January 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM #

First things first, roasted pecan butter!! I wish there was a super like button. Then bourbon vanilla extract, the pancakes, and some oreo crumbles…., triple more yummy!!! I love this recipe and your pictures are delicious :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. “Cheesy” Smoky Black Bean Soup (Oil-Free, Gluten-Free) | The Healthy Flavor - January 16, 2013

[...] from fellow bloggers this week. In case you missed it, click here for the amazing first course, Cookies ‘N’ Cream Pancakes! This lunch recipe, which is also perfect for dinner, is from Somer at Vedgedout. She has a [...]

2. Pasta With Half The Carbs (Gluten-Free, Oil-Free Option) | The Healthy Flavor - January 19, 2013

[...] that I’m sharing this week. In case you missed it, be sure to check out breakfast which was Cookies ‘N’ Cream Pancakes and lunch, Cheesy Smoky Black Bean Soup! The dinner recipe I chose is from Suzanne over at [...]

I'd love your feedback!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 262 other followers