White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (Refined Sugar-Free)

Dreamy. Creamy. Smooth. It’s the creamiest ice cream I’ve made so far. My last ice cream, Chocolate Peppermint, was sweetened with a special ingredient. With this one, I’ve used yet another ingredient to give it body and creaminess. I’m having so much fun with my ice cream maker!

Pin it

White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

It has a strong vanilla flavor with white chocolate undertones. I achieved this flavor by adding raw cocoa butter. I bought a tub of it a couple months back and finally got around to using it. Real white chocolate uses cocoa butter, it has a much deeper and smoother flavor. The stuff in the stores is typically just sugar, nasty oils and fake vanilla. It’s pretty gross….think cheaper brands or Wilton candy melts. If you want to buy white chocolate, make sure it contains cocoa butter, which is the fat from the cocoa bean that gives chocolate it’s amazing flavor and smell.

Cocoa Butter

Cocoa butter isn’t cheap, but it’s well worth the investment if you like whipping up quality, homemade treats that aren’t full of processed ingredients. Quality cocoa butter, as well as ingredients, are a must here for this amazing ice cream. I promise it’s worth it….once you make the initial purchase of ingredients, you can make multiple desserts.

Cocoa Butter

It’s soooo much easier to chop than dark chocolate too….

Cocoa Butter

Recipe makes a small batch, so double or triple if making for more than 1 person.

Gluten-free (If you’re gluten sensitive, make sure to use gluten-free labeled ingredients, as well as gluten free vanilla)

Ingredients:

One 13.5 oz can light coconut milk. Full fat I find to be too thick and too strong of a coconut flavor. The light was plenty creamy without tasting like coconut. I have the best results with Thai brand.

1 tablespoon of finely chopped/shaved raw organic cocoa butter (Make sure its food grade and not cosmetic! This is the kind I purchased here)

1 tablespoon organic raw “amber” agave

3-4  tablespoons pure maple syrup, depending on your sweet-o-meter (do not use imitation)

1  vanilla bean, scraped

1 heaping teaspoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract (this is what really intensifies the ice cream with its sweet decadent vanilla flavor, so don’t omit. If you don’t want to bother with a vanilla bean, just use 2-3 teaspoons of vanilla extract)

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (optional)

1/16 teaspoon fine sea salt

Important Note: I use both maple syrup and agave for specific reasons. The agave works really well in ice cream to prevent the formation of ice crystals that typically form during the freezing process. It really works…this did NOT form any! I use maple syrup for the best flavor and for sweetening the ice cream, because I find agave does not leave a pleasing taste and it tasted somewhat artificial in the finished product. Maple syrup has a deep, warm sweetness that lingers beautifully while eating the ice cream. Trust me, I tried it with all agave and both my husband and I agreed, it was really lacking. So, please, follow the recipe as written for best results. It is the result of 3 tested batches, varying the ingredients.

Cocoa Butter

Directions:  Follow these steps to ensure a smooth ice cream!

Finally chop some cocoa butter into tiny shavings and measure out 1 tablespoon, set aside. It is important to finely chop it into shavings so it melts almost instantly in the milk. If you cook the chocolate too long, the fats separate and become gel-like. Yuck. Now, pour the can of coconut milk into a small pot. Add the cornstarch and salt and whisk well until there are no lumps. Whisk in the agave, syrup and vinegar. Now, cut the vanilla bean down the middle and scrape the insides into the pot, as well as drop the vanilla bean in there too. Turn the heat to medium-low and once the liquid has just begun to simmer, turn the heat off and add the cocoa butter and whisk continually for 1-2 minutes. The cocoa butter should completely melt quickly.

Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, catching the vanilla bean, as well as ensuring a smooth ice cream base. Now, whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour into a sealed plastic container and store in the fridge for 2-3 hours until completely chilled.

It should be completely chilled before pouring into your ice cream maker. When removing the ice cream from the fridge, pour through a fine mesh strainer to catch any skins that may have formed. Whisk and then pour into your ice cream maker. Follow your ice cream machine directions to prepare, mine took about 15 minutes. Place into the freezer for a couple hours or until the desired consistency is reached. If you freeze it completely, just let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften and use an ice cream scooper for authentic scoops!

No ice cream maker? No problem, just pour the mixture into popsicle molds and enjoy delicious popsicles that taste like sweet vanilla white chocolate bars!

Now, pinch yourself….yes, it’s vegan. :)

White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Pin it

Be sure to check out my other ice creams too!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Chocolate, Gluten Free, Sweet Treats, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

27 Comments on “White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (Refined Sugar-Free)”

1. January 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM #

Love it!

2. January 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM #

Vegan Richa made “milk” chocolate bark recently with cocoa butter. You two are going to make me jump on the bandwagon. I’ve used cocoa butter for soap making, but need to get the culinary part going.

• January 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM #

Oh, yes! I made dark chocolate and white chocolate with it this past weekend..still need to post! So much to do, so much to post, so little time with a 14 month old, lol! Anyways, I love the stuff…while making chocolate, I just rub the excess cocoa butter into my skin. It’s awesome and smells divine.

• January 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM #

Oh my goodness, cocoa butter is awesome for the skin. Save those posts! You’ve got plenty of time to get em up :) Play with that baby. They’re only little for so long ;)

• January 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM #

I agree! :)

3. January 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM #

What and WHAT!? A-MAZ-ing, Brandi! Oh, I just had to leave you a comment and tell you that — delectable! Makes me so wish I had an ice cream maker. Okay, decided, it’s on the list! And the pics are just wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing =)

• January 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM #

Haha! Thank you so much Christina! I truly appreciate the kind feedback! :) I must admit, photographing ice cream is loads of fun because you get to eat it while doing it since it starts to melt, lol! Oh, yes, you must get one…especially with the cost of ice cream these days…it’s SO worth the investment!

4. January 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM #

Oh how I wish it were a little bit warmer, I love ice cream this looks really really good, did you use an online source for your cocoa butter? Have never bought it before and you are so right about white chocolate being loaded with sugar. Just wondered what the vinegar does? Using full fat coconut milk with the cocoa butter produces an ice cream thats too fatty or rich? I just love your recipes.

• January 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM #

Thank you so much! The vinegar just gives it a slight edge of sweet flavor, kind of like when adding vinegar to batter, it enriches the sweet taste. You of course don’t taste vinegar, just sweet creaminess. I prefer the light coconut milk…I can’t vouch for all brands, but the Thai brand I find to be PLENTY creamy…both my hubby and I agreed…the fullfat is very thick and very coconut-y. I didn’t want to taste any actual coconut in the finished product. I’m sure it would work still though, if somebody wanted it ultra creamy and didn’t mind the coconut taste. The cocoa butter helps the fat along with the coconut cream, so it doesn’t need the fullfat milk in my opinion :)

• January 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM #

I also like Thai brand, I must add this to my list of things to make. Simply delicious

5. January 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM #

Oh I just saw you linked the source for the cocoa butter, thanks for doing that,

• January 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM #

It smells sooooo good when you open up the tub…just oozes chocolate aroma!

6. January 4, 2013 at 6:48 AM #

I just HAVE to make this — winter or no winter!

• January 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM #

Ha! I agree Simone! It’s cold but I just can’t ever resist ice cream! It tastes like a white chooolate vanilla candy bar! :)

7. January 5, 2013 at 4:39 AM #

Your ice cream always looks SO good!! I need to live closer to you so I can taste test all of them!!

8. January 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM #

Oh my Brandi!! Your ice-cream is always phenomenal and this is magnificent on all levels. I really do have to pinch myself because it looks so rich and unhealthy. But it is truly healthy!! Love it. Have you ever thought of publishing a cookbook? You really should Ms. Young Entrepreneur!!

I hope you don’t mind if I reblog your link on my reblog page?

• January 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM #

Thank you so much Judy!! I appreciate your kind words so much. It really is healthy but tastes NOT healthy! Oh gosh, a cookbook would be awesome some day! :)
      Of course I don’t mind, thank you, I’d be honored :)

9. January 7, 2013 at 3:03 AM #

Makes me want to get an ice cream maker just for this!

• January 7, 2013 at 6:14 AM #

Haha! I know right…I’m a little obsessed with it!! I wanted to eat it all as soon as it was done churning and not bother freezing it completely! :)

10. January 9, 2013 at 6:51 AM #

Oh wow, I need to try all of your tips especially the cocoa butter! It sounds sooo decadent and amazing!

• January 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM #

Thank you Sparkles! The cocoa butter makes it creamier…a little bit goes a long way too. I put too much in on the first batch and it was like wax, lol! So the one tablespoon is just right. Hope you enjoy! :)

11. January 12, 2013 at 9:46 AM #

I loved the ice cream ,looks good!!

12. January 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM #

Amazing!

I'd love your feedback!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 270 other followers