Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream

As promised, here is another delectable ice cream recipe. I wanted to leave everybody with one more Christmas post before the holiday and I decided on ice cream…why not?! Gotta be my favorite EVER and so Christmasy too! Check out my secret sweetening ingredient too, to cut down on sugar.

Pin it

Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream

A delicious vegan ice cream that is perfect for the holidays…or really anytime of the year!

Recipe: Serves 2

Gluten-free

Ingredients:

3 cups regular unsweetened low-fat coconut milk (I used the carton kind, but for a creamier version you can replace part of the milk with the cream from the top of the full-fat coconut milk in a can)

1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons organic sugar (adjust to your desired sweetness)

1/2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/2 tablespoons raw cacao chocolate powder

2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candy (adjust to your preference)

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Tip: If you want a creamier ice cream, sub about a 1/2 cup or so of the coconut milk with coconut cream from a can (from the top of the can).

Directions:

Combine the cooked potato, milk and chocolate powder into a blender and pulse until creamy and puréed. Pour into a small pot, add the sugar, cornstarch, salt and 1 tablespoon of the peppermint candy and whisk very well. Turn the heat to medium. As soon as it starts to simmer, whisk continuously for 1 minute until it starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla. Pour into a sealed plastic container and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Make sure it has completely chilled before pouring into your ice cream maker. Mine took about 15 minutes in the machine. About a minute before it looks like it is done, add in the remaining peppermint as it is churning. Add more if desired. Chill in freezer until desired consistency.

If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you could make these as popsicles. Or, you can just place the chilled (from the fridge) ice cream base into the freezer and follow these steps here. Keep in mind, the consistency won’t be quite the same as with an ice cream maker, but it still will be yummy!

Nutrition: 352.5 calories/ 7.5g fat/ 2.5g protein/ 72 carbs (This is based on a larger serving of a cup or so than the wimpy 1/2 cup serving labeled on commercially produced ice cream…who just eats 1/2 cup of ice cream?! If you do, the nutrition data will be less of course)

Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream

ENJOY!!

You think this looks good….try my other dessert with these flavors….Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread!

Chocolate Peppermint Flatbread

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Chocolate, Christmas, Gluten Free, Sweet Treats, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

37 Comments on “Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream”

1. December 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM #

You’ve done it again, another brilliant recipe. Never in a million years would I have thought to use sweet potato. Delicious!

• December 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM #

Thank you so much Suzanne! You are too sweet. I was just trying to think of how I could cut down somewhat on the sugar and it just went off like a light, ding ding…I thought…..”it worked in my soup to sweeten and thicken…why not ice cream?!” The best part is my hubby who hates sweet potato, didn’t even know, and still doesn’t, that there is potato in there. He thought it was delicious! I love tricking him, lol!

2. December 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM #

Brandi, this is so wonderful. I love it. I love that you include a cooked sweet potato. You are incredible! Looks divine!!

I hope you and your loved ones have a joyous holiday :)

• December 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM #

Thank you so much Judy as always for your kind words…they make me smile! Merry Christmas to you too sweetheart! :)

3. December 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM #

Yummmmo. This looks delicious! I need an ice cream maker!

4. December 24, 2012 at 5:47 AM #

Chocolate and peppermint go so well together that an ice cream with both is a real treat. BUT, using a sweet potato as a sweetener is incredible! What a great idea!
    For Christmas, I gave ice cream machines to the 2 biggest fans of my ice creams. “Teach a man to fish …”
    Have the best of Holidays and a wonderful New Year!

• December 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM #

Thank you so much John!! It really did help to cut down on the sugar, as well as thicken the ice cream. It was a winning combo!!

5. December 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM #

Sweet potatoes? I like the idea!

6. December 25, 2012 at 4:56 AM #

Nice! And Merry Christmas to you,Brandi!

7. December 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM #

Wow, sweet potatoes! Who would’ve thought? Can’t wait to give it a try. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
    -Dana

• December 26, 2012 at 5:47 AM #

Thank you so much Dana!! Yep, it totally worked out! Ha! Merry Christmas :)

8. kahht
    December 26, 2012 at 5:14 AM #

Tried this one out for Christmas dessert and the family ate it up so quick. It’s a unique flavour but absolutely works. Great idea!

• December 26, 2012 at 5:51 AM #

That makes me so happy to hear your family enjoyed it! Yes, I’ve never seen chocolate peppermint ice cream specifically before either, only mint chocolate chip or plain peppermint, and certainly not with sweet potatoes, so yes, it is unique. I’m so glad you all enjoyed it so much and thank you so much for trying my recipe. I’m honored truly and I especially appreciate the feedback so much. Merry Christmas!! :)

9. December 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM #

Yum! I just featured this over here:
    Thanks for the recipe!

• December 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM #

Thank you so much for featuring another one of my recipes!! You rock! That means SO much to me! I’m checking it out! :)

10. December 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM #

Wow! I can’t believe this fantastic looking ice cream is vegan! Good job, Brandi. Happy holidays to you and your loved ones – I hope it’s been filled with delicious food such as this!

• December 27, 2012 at 5:20 AM #

Thank you so much Nancy!! It doesn’t taste like vegan either, lol! My hubby and I gobbled it up. Merry Christmas to you too…I know you made some fabulous mouth watering food yourself :)

11. December 28, 2012 at 2:59 AM #

This is the most festive ice cream ever!!

12. December 29, 2012 at 4:08 AM #

This looks like a perfect holiday treat!

13. December 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM #

The cooked potato seems so genius! Does it help to give body to the ice cream? I def need to try this in the New Year at some point (after some detoxing ;) )

ps we seem to be on the right mind with the crumbles, because I made a pear & cranberry one that I think you would love. Best wishes to you and your family for the new year!

• December 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM #

Awww thanks Paola! Yes, it helps to thicken the ice cream as well as sweeten it! I was able to use less sugar than normal by using the sweet potato. I have a follower above that made it for their family and they loved it, so it seems to please other palettes other than just my biased one, lol!
      Yes, I so need to make your crumble for my hubby!! I’m checking it out now! ;)

14. December 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM #

I’m with everyone else, wow on the sweet potato! I’ll bet it really improves the texture! Still gotta get an ice cream maker!

• December 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM #

Yes, it made an all around great addition to the ice cream. I had no idea if it’d work when I added it but the real test was when my hubby loved it and didn’t know I added potato, he is so picky when it comes to ice cream. Yes, get one! I am making new flavors each week now, it is SO FUN. I have another one to post later this week with another crazy ingredient! I know you’d come up with some awesome ice creams!! :)

15. January 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM #

I just got an ice cream maker for Christmas, and I think I will have to move away from vanilla ice cream eventually… Thanks looks great! ~ nerdwithtaste.wordpress.com

16. January 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM #

I also made this tasty ice-cream & loved every bite of it! My mom & dad loved it too & I also gave them your lovely blog adress! :) happy times!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Holiday Desserts Roundup! « moderngirlnutrition - December 26, 2012

[...] Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream by The Healthy Flavor [...]

2. Cinnamon Ice Cream | The Healthy Flavor - December 29, 2012

[...] you think this looks good, try out my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream or my Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream with a SECRET [...]

3. Triple Punch Cookies (With Oats, Chocolate Chips and Pecans) « Oh My Potluck! - December 30, 2012

[...] brought these over to Christmas dinner with some delicious vegan ice cream I made with my lovely new Kitchenaid Ice Cream Maker. The cookies made the sea saltiness of the ice [...]

4. White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (Refined Sugar-Free) | The Healthy Flavor - January 3, 2013

[...] Creamy. Smooth. It’s the creamiest ice cream I’ve made so far. My last ice cream, Chocolate Peppermint, was sweetened with a special ingredient. With this one, I’ve used yet another ingredient to [...]

5. White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (Refined Sugar-Free) | The Healthy Flavor - February 5, 2013

[...] Creamy. Smooth. My last ice cream, Chocolate Peppermint, was sweetened with a special ingredient. With this one, I’ve used yet another ingredient to [...]

I'd love your feedback!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 322 other followers